This is a really quick and easy gluten free lemon cookies recipe that will please everyone! My gluten free lemon cookies are really , soft, chewy, and sooo yummy. You can easily leave these cookies as they are and eat them straight out of the oven, or you can make a simple lemon glaze and drizzle that over the top.
Ingredients you’ll need for Gluten Free Lemon Cookies
It’s best to use real lemon juice for this recipe rather than bottled, plus you really don’t want to skip the lemon zest in the recipe as it really is integral to making a really great lemon cookie flavor. Here’s a short list of some of the ingredients you’ll need to make gluten free lemon cookies, the full recipe is at the end of the post. This post contains Amazon affiliate links
- All purpose gluten free flour
- Xanthan gum
- butter, or dairy free margarine
- White sugar
- Lemon zest
- Vanilla extract
How to Make Gluten Free Lemon Cookies
You will need a quality gluten free flour to make these lemon cookies. I prefer to make my own gluten free flour blend, but if you don’t want to do that you can use a quality ready made gluten free flour such as King Arthur’s Gluten Free flour.
I do not recommend blends that have bean flour, they simply don’t taste good, also remember to omit the xanthan gum if your blend already has it. Here’s a couple simple step by step directions, you’ll find the printable recipe at the end of the post.
- Preheat your oven to 325F
- Cream the butter and sugar together until soft. I used dairy free margarine and it’s pretty soft already so I didn’t need to mix it for long.
- Then, Add egg, vanilla, lemon zest and lemon juice to the butter and sugar and mix it to combine.
- In another bowl mix the gluten free flour, xanthan gum, and baking powder and whisk it a little to mix.
- Now you just need to add the flour to the butter mixture and mix together until it’s combined well.
- Use a cookie scoop to drop tablespoons of cookie dough onto a parchment lined cookie sheet or sheet pan. Flatten the cookies a little with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until done. You can dust with a little icing sugar, or glaze with some lemon icing when they are cooled.
How to make a Lemon Glaze
Making a lemon glaze for your gluten free lemon cookies is the easiest thing in the world! Here’s what you need:
- Powdered sugar – 1 cup
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
All you need to do is mix the lemon juice together with the powdered sugar, it will make a thin runny glaze with a wonderful flavor! Then all you need to do is put your lemon cookies onto some parchment (for easy clean up) and drizzle it over the top of the cookies.