Before you suggest there’s no way vegan biscuits can taste just as good if not BETTER than regular biscuits, everyone I’ve fed these to agree that these are in fact LEGIT, amazing, fluffy, buttery biscuits.
As in, serve them to your 80-year old grandmother who’s been making biscuits for centuries and she wouldn’t know the difference. As in, slap some gravy on it and you’d think you died and gone to heaven. As in, fluffy, buttery, savory, biscuit perfection. It’s true.
I have tried making vegan biscuits once before and they did not meet my ridiculously high biscuit standards. They lacked that quintessential buttery flavor and fluffy texture that I so deeply adore. So this time, I read every single tip out there to fail-proof my biscuit making. And I’m happy to report that IT WORKED.
You need just 1 bowl, 30 minutes, and these simple ingredients:
1. Unbleached all-purpose flour.
2. Non-dairy butter (such as Earth Balance).
3. Sea salt
4. Baking powder
5. Baking soda
6 Plain almond milk.
7. Lemon juice.
That’s it! And you’re well on your way to vegan biscuit perfection.
The commandments of biscuit making, as I’ve discovered, are:
1. Do not over-handle the dough.
2. Never use a rolling pin, fool.
3. Make sure yo’ butter is cold.
4. Baking powder and soda are a must for fluff.
5. Brush the tops with butter to achieve that crusty, buttery top.
6. Make a divot in the middle with your fingers to prevent them from rising in a “dome.”
7. A hot oven (450 degrees F / 232 C) is essential. Don’t ask questions.
8. Biscuits must touch while baking to help them rise properly.
I would include a # 9. but it’s simply to eat biscuits immediately. I shouldn’t have to tell you that. A BISCUIT FRESH OUT OF THE OVEN > A BISCUIT REHEATED 3 DAYS LATER. Duh.
These little guys are PERFECT. Fluffy, moist, buttery, savory, perfect with jam, perfect for breakfast, perfect with anything. Hence the reason I’ve dubbed them THE BEST DAMN VEGAN BISCUIT.
And yes, I totally ate that whole damn biscuit (and them some).